Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shots! and preparations

After a 28 day wait I am finally about to get my second Japanese Encephalitis shot at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. I picked up my 2 weeks worth of Malarone for a trip into the Terai region (the only part of Nepal with a malarial risk). So I should be all set medication wise.

Everything is coming into place for the trip. I have a nice short packing list, consisting mostly of clothes and electronics. I have a new Toshiba netbook that I installed a copy of Linux (ubuntu 11.07) so I won't have to worry about connecting to sketchy wireless connections. With Linux I don't have an antivirus software running as I would with Windows. Let's be honest, the guys writing all those viruses are probably running Linux and they wouldn't want to inadvertently infect their own kind. I will also be taking my DSLR camera so I'll have a few pictures to post up here, on my Picasa page, and/or facebook.

Preparations have also included finding a place to stay for my first few weeks in Kathmandu. Since I don't really know my situation I figured getting a place to stay for the first two weeks would be good until I can hammer out any kinks in my three month stint there. At my father's suggestion I am staying at the Tibet Guest House in the Thamel region of Kathmandu. It was where he stayed when he was leading treks in Nepal and is in fact where my parents first met. I can get a room with cable TV, internet in the lobby, and a hot shower for around $10 a night. While it is probably not the cheapest place in Kathmandu, it's pretty close. Once I get there I might get a hot plate and a electric kettle so I can make some of my own food, but that can all be figured out once I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment